Connecting to the Faculty Mac OS X Server from Windows XP
This process requires a protocol called NetBIOS to be installed on your computer. If these instructions do not work for you try installing NetBIOS using the instructions in the 'Enabling NetBOIS' section below.
- Select 'My Computer' from the 'Start' menu.
- Select 'My Network Places' from the 'Other Places' list in the left column of the window.
- Select 'Add a Network Place' from the 'Network Tasks' list in the left column of the window.
- Click the 'Next>' button in the 'Add Network Place Wizard' window.
- Click 'Choose another network location' in the 'Service Providers' list and click the 'Next>' button.
- Type '\\dentistry.dal.ca\dentalusers' into the 'Internet or network address' text field and click the 'Next>' button.
- *Type your 'user name' (firstName_lastName' ) & 'password' into the corresponding text fields. Optionally check the 'Remember my password' checkbox, and click the 'OK' button.
- Type 'Dental Users' into the 'Type a name for this network place' text field, and click the 'Next>' button.
- Click the 'Finish' button.
Now 'Dental Users' or can be found in your 'My Network Places' window. Which can be accessed through the 'Other Places' list in the left-side column in most file windows in Windows XP as well as through the 'Start' menu.
To add the 'Dental Groups' share-point to your network places simply follow the above instructions replacing 'DentalUsers' with 'DentalGroups' in step 6 and 'Dental Users' with 'Dental Groups' in step 8.
- Go into the Windows (Control Panel)
- open (Network Connections)
- right click on the (Local Area Connection) and chose properties.
- Click install and then click on (Protocol)
- and then click add and choose (NWLink IPX/SPX/NetBIOS Compatible Transport Protocol)
*if you are even remotely unsure of your username or password for the server ( it is not the same as for your eMail ) ask email@example.com.